April 06, 2016

Dear Kevin


Dear Kevin,

I know we've written some unpleasant things about each other recently. But I think it's time to bury the hatchet.

I mean, we're both grown-ups (well, you are, anyway) and we shouldn't be quarreling like this.

As a token of my sincerity, I'm going to offer you some tips about your blog.

It's got to be a little embarrassing for a guy like you who is an expert on communication and social media and marketing and all that stuff to have a blog that is... how should I put this?... would 'underachieving' be harsh? (Here's a joke I thought of -- I can almost hear the wind whistling through your stat counter. What do you think? Funny?)

I think it's fair to say that your blog has some "issues." (You say "issues" instead of "problems," right? I bet you also say "reach out" instead of "call," right? No judgement, just sayin'.) I was looking at it and your last 25 posts have a total of zero comments, except for the one where you wrote about me. Weird, huh?

Well, as you probably know, I have a pretty popular blog.

So I see this as a great opportunity to seal our friendship by helping you with your blog (we have something in common -- I'm a "marketing expert" too!)

My theory is this. The key to a successful blog is to write stuff that people are interested in. You might say it's having a product that people like.

On the other hand, if you don't have stuff people like they will not visit your blog.

You with me so far? Good. Here comes the cool part.

Your blog has a great brand. It says Saatchi & Saatchi right there in big letters on the top. It's one of those amazing "Lovemarks" that everyone "just can't live without."

On the other hand, my blog has one of the dumbest brands ever ("The Ad Contrarian" -- I made that up one night in Sedona after way too much Sangria.) I'm pretty sure people can live nicely without my brand.

But the funny thing is my blog gets like 10,000 times as many "customers" as your blog. I have the stupidest brand in the world and you have an amazing Lovemark and yet... go figure, huh?

Kev (now that we're friends I hope you don't mind me calling you Kev. You can call me Bobby) I know you made a film once called Your Brand Is More Important Than Your Product (by the way, what's that weird thing you're doing with your hand in that film???) But, darn it, I think you may have got it wrong.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you want more customers coming to your blog I would recommend not relying too heavily on your Lovemark. It doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

I think what you need is a better product.

What do you think, Kev?

Hope this helps.

Your new friend,

Bobby



No comments: